Thursday, August 19, 2010

Covered Brads- No Tool Required



There is a sucker born every minute, and today it was almost me.

Lately I've started to admire fabric covered brads, and was tempted to buy the I-top tool from Imaginisce. This maybe a is handy little tool if you use a lot of brads, and maybe someday I'll want to shell out thirty-five dollars for it, but not today. I was very close to buying one on Ebay for the low low price of $10, plus $8.50 for shipping. Then this thought occurred to me, "Do I really need this tool?" Then I wondered if the tool that comes with Dritz fabric covered buttons would fit the brads, so I hopped in the car and headed to Michael's to purchase a package of the small Brad Daddies.

When I arrived home I couldn't locate my fabric covered button tool, so I went ahead and gave it a shot without either tool. The picture above is how it turned out. Both brads above were made without a circle punch or even a good circle cut out. These are the results of cutting the corners off of a square and wrapping the square around the top of the brad. With a little pressure the back of the brad pops right in.

Final verdict. Unless you use a lot of brads, or are just not strong enough to push the back of the brad on without the aid of the tool, don't buy the Itop tool unless you find it on sale...cheap! It just isn't needed. However, I highly recommend the Brad Daddies themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment