Thursday, October 7, 2010

My First Ruffler Foot

The ruffler foot for my sewing machine came today. If you happen buy one of these, you may want to watch a lot of videos before you decide to tell the seller it is the wrong one.

The foot I received looked completely different than the one that I ordered. It looked more like the attachment for slant shank machines, and the darn thing didn’t seem to fit. It kept hitting the pin that is used to tighten the needle. So I promptly emailed the seller, to tell them they sent the wrong one. Why wouldn’t I think that? After all, it doesn’t look like the one in the picture at all.

Needless to say, it does in fact fit my machine. The little part that kept “getting in the way”, that’s what makes it work. Apparently it is suppose to go “around” pin, not under it. That is how the foot knows when to make the pleat.

I’m not saying it “is” the right attachment for my sewing machine, because it is very hard to get it to fit right. However, it does in fact work.

I also found that rather than cutting fabric piece after fabric piece to practice with, it is easier to just pull each end to break the thread. Remove the loose threads, and start over.

Although the ruffle foot seems more like a torture device than a sewing machine attachment at first, once you get the hang of it is pretty cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment